Skip to main content

Just Keep Showing Up...

… the words that bubbled out of me toward the end of an exuberant evening, our friends’ daughter’s wedding in Modern Orthodox observance. Over-the-top hospitality, food buffets (yes, plural), drinks (yes, plural), joviality and more. Seeing old friends we hadn’t seen in a couple years. The wedding blessings-service was beautiful, of course. Mostly Hebrew then a smattering of English renditions of the blessings, lots of opportunities for family and friends to be involved. A rabbinic invitation and teaching. Singing of the ketubah (wedding covenant, engraved glass for the new home). The raucous singing and dancing at the end of the service. The carb-first-course to fuel the raucous dancing upon the arrival of bride and groom into the banquet hall–women in one swirling mass, men in another. I felt the tears welling up when the bride danced with both of her grandmothers at once–so powerful to witness. The drawing-close and swirling away of young women, hoping to get chosen by the bride to dance with her in the center. The sweetness of getting chosen to dance in the center. General hilarity then followed with bride and groom, some family members, sitting on chairs while various groups of guests came to dance and sing for them. A luscious dinner meal before more dancing, a serenade by the groom of the bridge, then more dancing, younger generations by then. Choices of babka on one side, heated cookies on the other side, as guests began to take their leave amidst the waning evening light. Such exuberant celebration of life, love, family. I always smile at the edge of triumph too, Jews saying in song and dance, "You've tried to kill us for centuries and we're still here..." Bravado necessary because of the ancestral-lineage wounds, I suppose, but satisfying in its exuberance all the same.

So it was an evening of blessings, too many to name well, and a complicated space for me, perhaps a bit more than usual given both my husband and I attended. The gender-presumptions of Modern Orthodoxy are louder and a bit more raw in my embodied experience when I am with him in these settings, softer and negligible when I am by myself. The previous daughter’s wedding which I had attended solo seemed to hold more opportunity for reflection, interaction with spirit-friends, and less-gender-ized space for me to participate, observe. Even so, it was important to me that Brian attend this wedding, for us both to participate in the longstanding spirit-friendship we share with both mother and father of the bride. It took my forcefulness, because his introversion and anxieties would have prevented him from attending otherwise. A bit of tenderizing irony there, given he benefits with relational connection because of me while I experience the costs of such gendered spaces because of him.


I became aware of the simmering complexities within me during the ‘service’ itself, jotting down notes into my phone trying to breathe in the sacred while also honoring my own internal screams. I wanted to see the liturgy–as I would call it–as only sacred, beautiful, cherished by all there. Except I could not un-see the scriptural groundings/bindings-for-women being sold off to a man. The bride circling the man for several rounds (7? Hints of Jericho? I have no idea…) which my seat-companion Matty seemed to find beautiful. Centering the man irked me. I returned to my breath, began to write in my phone, did my best to focus on the attentive, delighted faces of the elders–the parents Brian and I know, the family members of the groom–celebrating this rite-of-passage for their own children, their own dreams. I was genuinely able to enjoy the rousing communal song escorting the bride and groom down the aisle, capturing much of it in a video on my phone. I thanked the older-women who had taken me under their wings, Matty and Elaine, then went to find Brian, who had been sitting with the guys from Kiddish Club on the men’s side of the room.


I was ready to go home at that moment, though joined Brian in the line-up for the bar. A whiskey, two small ice-cubes, in hand then, we went out onto the balcony to take pictures of the city skyline behind us. We found our table, seated with folks from Kiddush Club, and mingled with others while awaiting the bride-groom’s entrance for the dancing to begin. I made sure to get a selfie with Brian and Brad. Then one with Becky and myself, knowing that once the dancing started, it would be hard to capture. Dancing. Loud music. Dinner course. Brian and I finding pockets of less-noise in between stints of dancing (for me–his arch/foot was not up to that level of activity). I startled to learn that my Whoop band registered a strain of 12.6 by the end of the night. Clearly I had danced a lot.




By the end of the evening, the complexities had lessened or spent themselves. It was good to sit with our friend Brad (the father of the bride) and Brian, reflecting on Brad’s words of hope in a really tumultuous and challenging time. He was giving more anecdotal context for his words, weaving Brian into his yearnings for peace, for more, which our world currently seems incapable. None of us can alter the course of large-scale events, we know, and I heard myself say, “We just need to keep showing up.” 


“Just keep showing up.” Which is what this whole final-two-days-of-our-May-vacation was about for me, I guess.


Did I have fun? Of a sort.

Was it without cost? No.

Am I glad we spent the time and effort to be there? Definitely


No less true: I am glad to be heading homeward, to my own family and friends, world(s), invitations into a new season…


Comments

About Me

My photo
Wisdom Walker
I am a scholar, companion, friend, contemplative, wife, daughter, teacher, poet, and most importantly for this space, a writer. I learn best by entering into practice, listening deeply, and remaining open to those who will share their path and passions with me.

Popular posts from this blog

The Trust in Prayer

One fall day in 1996, I sought my plausible dissertation advisor, James E. Loder , on the fifth floor of the classroom building, Stuart Hall, knowing he had a precept class ending at lunchtime. What I received in that encounter was not what I wanted, nor what I sought, but what I needed, and so much more powerful than what I had imagined. Today, over thirty years later, the encounter in that classroom arises in my awareness as an icon of sorts, a crystallization of trust in a process that would send deep roots into the soul-soil of my vocational journey I can still recognize today. I was Given a trust in prayer , but not as I was taught to pray. Prayer sometimes happens to us, when we allow it to do so. Providing a trust in the visceral wisdom of the body, if and when we allow it, discern it, recognize it as not our own yet intimately our own . This moment also demonstrated the faithful response and willingness to unknow together , whether as individuals or in an entire witnessing com...

Ridin the Bronco

It’s like ridin’ the bronco , I’ve often said when describing my over twenty years at United Seminary, a freestanding graduate school affiliated with the United Methodist Church yet more relationally-nuanced and Evangelical-United-Brethren in its ethos than most of the current teaching faculty know to perceive. We are a small graduate school, though our enrollment puts us in the upper echelon in terms of enrollments in the other twelve UMC seminaries/div schools. In those seas, my husband and I speak of United as a pirate seminary , sailing the unsafe waters of denominational politics that also cannot imagine a primarily relational ethos known historically through the EUB. Even Evangelicals who love United have spoken of this character as an EUB “hangover,” disliking its relational challenges to doctrinal sureties. I landed here over twenty years ago at Spirit’s beck and call, really wanting to serve in a southern PCUSA seminary whose president was a woman (at the time I interviewed)....

Brian Insisted We Watch "Sinners" (Ryan Coogler's vampire movie with Michael B. Jordan)

  Brian Insisted We Watch “Sinners” (the Ryan Coogler vampire movie with Michael B. Jordan, among others) I find myself watchful,  feinting, jabbing, ducking more with  institutional power these days . Sometimes led, sometimes leading I am aware of roles, or intentionally refuse them. Which can be unwise. Or holy. Or both. Those with institutional power  pretend they have authority, projecting pain onto any who will bear it assuming a pattern earned by pedestaled leaders who came before. Those truly free to serve within institutions listen deeply to a silence within themselves,  loving those around into Grace, even Mystery led by a pattern surrendered into by one or more beloveds who came before. The institutional match-steps are stamped with flawed, exacting abuse. Living, free bodies left  hurting, silenced, disdained as power wounds from unexamined hurts, cycling again and again rote words without competence or curiosity We are human collectives long dea...