Skip to main content

Auf Wedersehn, my Friend, and Welcome Back, Various Parts of Me

Today may not be the best day for being a reliable narrator of your own experience.

Something about this feels accurate for me today, on the cusp of leaving for a college reunion and newly shaped by a ritual-release-fire I engaged yesterday. I feel tender-hearted and a bit fearful, feeling old-stories playing in my fears. Not enough. Ought to feel ashamed. Accused by those I have loved.


Not a reliable narrator, to be sure.


The interpretation arose from the card I just pulled and its companion-text. My heart did expand upon seeing the Page of Swords card from this new tarot deck I’m exploring–Tarot for the Wild Soul by Lindsay Mack, illustrations by Chelsea Granger. It’s probably the first tarot deck that I feel safe enough pulling just one card a day. The MotherPeace deck with which my introduction to tarot began has a much more wounded expression to it, meaning you can pick one card and feel the trauma of wounded women searing your fingers. I got into the habit of always pulling three cards, simply to diffuse the possibility or felt-wound there. Mack’s deck, though surely no less wounded–she speaks to her own deck as ‘trauma-informed’–speaks to the unifying invitations in light-shadow, shadow and light. I’ve been pulling a card a day for the past three weeks or so, heartened and grounded, curious and Led, somehow.


The Page of Swords card in this deck shows a shaky-legged foal with its mother looking on from behind, both grounded in a beautiful pasture with blue skies in the distance. The foal is standing, if shakily so. It is experiencing its relatively recent birth, beginning to walk itself into the world around. Feels apt for me today, feeling a bit weary from re-birthing and a bit shaky in moving forward.


Yesterday, I said a ritual-farewell or auf wedersehn to one of the most significant relationships in my life these last several years through the gifts of fire yesterday at the nature preserve/retreat-center across the street from my home. A letter saying I love you, I thank you, and fare-thee-well, released by flame into the world so to bring prayer and blessing to me, to her. We may be in sparse touch in the weeks, months, ahead, but our connection has changed. This ritual was to honor that, and...I know for the rest of my life, daily for a while, then regularly at unexpected intervals from there on out, I will be reminded via song or scent or image of her gifts to me, her Spirit-led unconditional-love of me, the gifts our relationship brought into the world. We now seem to be on divergent paths or in the farthest reaches of an eccentric orbit--boundary for my best Self required, sadness at the felt-distances and her projected pains onto my own bodysoul. Twinges of grief when they arise without expectation. Practices of grief transmuted into praise, praise transformed into prayer. Gratitude. Love. Hope for her best Self, abundance she would choose for herself. We will always be soul-entangled, in other words, but for now, I refuse her projections and release her to her chosen pains.


Before leaving for the fire-circle, I had browsed my various symbolic collections–pendants, stones, sacred items retained because of their associations with the Holy along our way. I gathered all those things needing to be released, placing them into a bag with a collection of sage, matches, shells. Putting Nala in the car so she would be close-by, I returned to the fire-circle where I had relinquished a previous spirit-friendship-connection, looking for the albino squirrel that always seemed to companion my ritual releasings. It did not appear this time, at least to my eyes, though certainly in my awareness. I played a particularly meaningful sacred tune so to bring this new association of gratitude and farewell to it. I read the letter aloud before burning it, wondering if tears might come. They did not, surprisingly. Grief already into acceptance, apparently, though my body still feels the sadness in waves, from time to time. And I released the letter, some sacred textile-art she’d given me, the dried pomegranates we’d carried for our circles for years. Some associated stones and old chains (necklace-chains) I released into the woods.


Then Nala and I went off to get good fish for dinner, her licking my face, me smiling, weary.


What does it mean to be released from an energetic connection that has shaped my life for almost 13 years? Jewish number of completion, divine attributes, that. Interesting. Released yet not overtly so, to her knowledge. She may yet reach out to me, if she chooses. Yet an energetic skin now protects, reminds me...we are not who we had been.


And tomorrow I get into Brian’s car, driving myself to Rochester, MN, so to be one hour away from Northfield, MN, able to arrive for Reunion Weekend by 9 a.m. Should allow me to check in, get a little oriented, and make it to Skinner Chapel for 10 a.m., Ingrid and Nat’s talk on their new book on the Arboretum. May my Grandfathers Hess guide me well, listening into the mysteries of the world around me as I return to these lands for my own soul-reclamation (whatever may have been left behind there).


That’s how I’ve come to think of this pilgrimage for myself, sans-Brian, into the past-becoming-present again. I’ve never been to a Carleton Reunion, for the reason that I’ve always felt I failed college somehow. I came away from Carleton disempowered and feeling like I was stupid, undesirable. In some ways, it feels like I left parts of my soul back there, back then, and I’d like to reclaim those parts of myself for today, for my present-into-future. Most of me has gotten over this disempowerment, in other words, but some part of me remains bound back there.


That is my intention anyway: to reclaim any part of myself left behind, to arrive curious about whom I shall meet, either again or for the first time, and to feel the land beneath my feet. To be on pilgrimage toward perceiving more and more of the sacred in the world around me, shining with ancestral guidance and care for me, delight in me. May it be so.



Comments

About Me

My photo
Wisdom Walker
I am a scholar, companion, friend, contemplative, wife, daughter, teacher, poet, and most importantly for this space, a writer. I learn best by entering into practice, listening deeply, and remaining open to those who will share their path and passions with me.

Popular posts from this blog

The Trust in Prayer

One fall day in 1996, I sought my plausible dissertation advisor, James E. Loder , on the fifth floor of the classroom building, Stuart Hall, knowing he had a precept class ending at lunchtime. What I received in that encounter was not what I wanted, nor what I sought, but what I needed, and so much more powerful than what I had imagined. Today, over thirty years later, the encounter in that classroom arises in my awareness as an icon of sorts, a crystallization of trust in a process that would send deep roots into the soul-soil of my vocational journey I can still recognize today. I was Given a trust in prayer , but not as I was taught to pray. Prayer sometimes happens to us, when we allow it to do so. Providing a trust in the visceral wisdom of the body, if and when we allow it, discern it, recognize it as not our own yet intimately our own . This moment also demonstrated the faithful response and willingness to unknow together , whether as individuals or in an entire witnessing com...

Ridin the Bronco

It’s like ridin’ the bronco , I’ve often said when describing my over twenty years at United Seminary, a freestanding graduate school affiliated with the United Methodist Church yet more relationally-nuanced and Evangelical-United-Brethren in its ethos than most of the current teaching faculty know to perceive. We are a small graduate school, though our enrollment puts us in the upper echelon in terms of enrollments in the other twelve UMC seminaries/div schools. In those seas, my husband and I speak of United as a pirate seminary , sailing the unsafe waters of denominational politics that also cannot imagine a primarily relational ethos known historically through the EUB. Even Evangelicals who love United have spoken of this character as an EUB “hangover,” disliking its relational challenges to doctrinal sureties. I landed here over twenty years ago at Spirit’s beck and call, really wanting to serve in a southern PCUSA seminary whose president was a woman (at the time I interviewed)....

Brian Insisted We Watch "Sinners" (Ryan Coogler's vampire movie with Michael B. Jordan)

  Brian Insisted We Watch “Sinners” (the Ryan Coogler vampire movie with Michael B. Jordan, among others) I find myself watchful,  feinting, jabbing, ducking more with  institutional power these days . Sometimes led, sometimes leading I am aware of roles, or intentionally refuse them. Which can be unwise. Or holy. Or both. Those with institutional power  pretend they have authority, projecting pain onto any who will bear it assuming a pattern earned by pedestaled leaders who came before. Those truly free to serve within institutions listen deeply to a silence within themselves,  loving those around into Grace, even Mystery led by a pattern surrendered into by one or more beloveds who came before. The institutional match-steps are stamped with flawed, exacting abuse. Living, free bodies left  hurting, silenced, disdained as power wounds from unexamined hurts, cycling again and again rote words without competence or curiosity We are human collectives long dea...