Skip to main content

Arriving, Leaving, Arriving Home...

 I am back at Holy Wisdom Monastery, at least until the morning. I was blessed to speak to the prioress for a short while after lunch, just the two of us. A meeting I had requested though I knew I wasn’t sure what all I wanted to say, needed to say. She was gracious. It was delightful to hear the many strands of seeding and nourishing unfolding here in the community. I felt the unbidden tears rise, grateful for the many ways in which this place has nourished me from afar. Just knowing this community/monastery is here, alive, in the world today, keeps some part of me vibrant, hopeful. I don’t get to be physically present in the community much yet, but if way opens, Brian and I will, some day.


I spent a week here in 2023, drawn by Annie Thorisdottir’s plausible final live competition at the CrossFit Games. I wanted to see my favorite CrossFit athlete perform in person. It was the last time the Games were in Madison. I remembered belatedly that Holy Wisdom Monastery was in Madison, which would offer a more accessible and affordable lodging for a week than any hotel. For integrity’s sake, I prayed with the sisters in the mornings, midday, then went to the Games in the afternoons and evenings. In hindsight, this was the only way Spirit could have gotten me there, here. A place where I could be both Christian and woman without stumbling over either, conflicted about either. Home, in other words. A place I’ve not experienced for nearly two decades. The final Sunday morning I was in town, I chose communal worship/Eucharist instead of the Games, finding myself in a messy-cry in the front row of chairs. I was home, a place I thought I’d never know again. Right before I was to drive back to Ohio and my life as seminary prof, preacher’s wife, author, and spirit-friend.


So what is it that feels home? I've had very few days here, after all, if two more now than before.


Of course there are idealizations at play, given I don’t know folks in the community nor the very human ways in which they are stewarding the gifts they’ve been Given to steward. I know there will always be fractures and unmet expectations, ideals of an ecumenical-Benedictine way of life and the realities that humans make of them. But even accounting for my idealisms...?


I know home the most in prayer, not surprisingly. A praying-the-hours liturgy of psalms sung in chant-form, readings, prayers. The smallness of the daily prayer community–the sisters, the occasional retreatant like myself, then tonight, an overnight retreat of a handful of participants. Nothing showy or overtly ‘successful’ in terms of congregational ministry. Just a remnant of human beings, participating in an ancient liturgy made welcoming of all. I could feel the tears of relief arising within me. Home.


The morning birdsong and prairie surrounding Lost Lake. I have (of course) been awakening early, being on East Coast time and deprived of the darkening-windows of my beloved’s recent efforts toward darkroom sleeping. This puts me into the lightening morning skies with a cup of coffee, sitting on a dew-damp bench overlooking the lake. I love feeling the quiet within amidst the burgeoning birds all around. Home.


I have delved into readings and library work like I’ve not done in a very long while. Body memory of the forgiveness books I found here last time? Simple timing, curiosity and drive to learn more about my radical Pietistic ancestors within books as well as within our ritual practice contact? I wonder…but feel at home.


And tonight, my final-night ritual (of sorts), enjoying a dinner out at the Craftsman Table & Tap restaurant across from the Metro Market here in Middleton. A salmon salad I want to make for Brian at home–grilled salmon, feta, cherry tomatoes, mixed greens, farro and lemon-herbed dressing. YUM. Chardonnay. Even a caramel-walnut vanilla ice-cream dessert with some decaf coffee…so I could stay at the table longer. Home.


And...I am ready to begin to pack up the car for my drive into the Driftless Region tomorrow, Red Clover Ranch, circling with spirit-seeking friends. A different kind of home.


All in all, I am confirmed with a sense of home, and the yearning to be a part of this community in ways I could serve, ways I could take great delight. Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, as we say.


Comments

About Me

My photo
Wisdom Walker
I am a scholar, companion, friend, contemplative, wife, daughter, teacher, poet, and most importantly for this space, a writer. I learn best by entering into practice, listening deeply, and remaining open to those who will share their path and passions with me.

Popular posts from this blog

The Trust in Prayer

One fall day in 1996, I sought my plausible dissertation advisor, James E. Loder , on the fifth floor of the classroom building, Stuart Hall, knowing he had a precept class ending at lunchtime. What I received in that encounter was not what I wanted, nor what I sought, but what I needed, and so much more powerful than what I had imagined. Today, over thirty years later, the encounter in that classroom arises in my awareness as an icon of sorts, a crystallization of trust in a process that would send deep roots into the soul-soil of my vocational journey I can still recognize today. I was Given a trust in prayer , but not as I was taught to pray. Prayer sometimes happens to us, when we allow it to do so. Providing a trust in the visceral wisdom of the body, if and when we allow it, discern it, recognize it as not our own yet intimately our own . This moment also demonstrated the faithful response and willingness to unknow together , whether as individuals or in an entire witnessing com...

Ridin the Bronco

It’s like ridin’ the bronco , I’ve often said when describing my over twenty years at United Seminary, a freestanding graduate school affiliated with the United Methodist Church yet more relationally-nuanced and Evangelical-United-Brethren in its ethos than most of the current teaching faculty know to perceive. We are a small graduate school, though our enrollment puts us in the upper echelon in terms of enrollments in the other twelve UMC seminaries/div schools. In those seas, my husband and I speak of United as a pirate seminary , sailing the unsafe waters of denominational politics that also cannot imagine a primarily relational ethos known historically through the EUB. Even Evangelicals who love United have spoken of this character as an EUB “hangover,” disliking its relational challenges to doctrinal sureties. I landed here over twenty years ago at Spirit’s beck and call, really wanting to serve in a southern PCUSA seminary whose president was a woman (at the time I interviewed)....

Brian Insisted We Watch "Sinners" (Ryan Coogler's vampire movie with Michael B. Jordan)

  Brian Insisted We Watch “Sinners” (the Ryan Coogler vampire movie with Michael B. Jordan, among others) I find myself watchful,  feinting, jabbing, ducking more with  institutional power these days . Sometimes led, sometimes leading I am aware of roles, or intentionally refuse them. Which can be unwise. Or holy. Or both. Those with institutional power  pretend they have authority, projecting pain onto any who will bear it assuming a pattern earned by pedestaled leaders who came before. Those truly free to serve within institutions listen deeply to a silence within themselves,  loving those around into Grace, even Mystery led by a pattern surrendered into by one or more beloveds who came before. The institutional match-steps are stamped with flawed, exacting abuse. Living, free bodies left  hurting, silenced, disdained as power wounds from unexamined hurts, cycling again and again rote words without competence or curiosity We are human collectives long dea...