Skip to main content

Porcelain Shard in my Pocket

Thirteen years, then.

Thirteen, divine attributes in Jewish wisdom circles

Thirteen, number of completion, a full cycle of moons around the sun.

Thirteen, the years of being seen and 

heard into wholeness, fullness, for that time.


She gave me a piece of pottery shard once.

White and blue, in felt-antique fashion

She’d come across it on a run.

Stooped to pick it up

Much like she stooped for me.


I carried it in my pocket for months.

Uncertain of its symbolism

Trusting its fragility and perseverance

both.

For both of us.


We each got a porcelain mug

White and blue

Flowery print

Feeling like lace, but less fragile.

Still fragile, but less so.


The place where the women waited beckoned.

Church of the Holy Sepulchre,

Old City Jerusalem.

Eastern European pilgrims crowded around.

I reached out my hand

leaving the pottery shard there.

Unseen.

Unheard, but

Home. 


Its sharp edges dulled by pocket fuzz

Its fragility assured, now

witness to love’s perseverance

Women abandoned, found by women

left at the foot of the cross

the women’s cross, because it couldn’t

be a cross for all.


The pain was where it needed to be,

left behind, surrounded by pilgrims.


Thirteen years later, 

Circles have been birthed,

Well grounded into adolescence and adulthood

SoulCollage retreats have toddled into shape.

Held by elders, friends, companions all.

God/de spoke in woman healing woman.

God/de speaks in women 

breathing deeply for women.


“I’m not going to be okay for a long time,”

She said, sitting next to me on the bench.

“You know that, right?”

I nodded, thinking I did know.


I did not know.


Thirteen years, divine attributes each and all.

Thirteen, number of completion.

Thirteen, the years of being seen and heard into wholeness,

fullness, for that time.


I have a new pottery shard in my pocket now.

The mug of wholeness, no longer whole.

The question of healing emerging anew.

Always and ever emerging.

The questions I am not the one to ask, 

nor answer

at least for today.


Feels like forever.



Comments

About Me

My photo
Wisdom Walker
I am a scholar, companion, friend, contemplative, wife, daughter, teacher, poet, and most importantly for this space, a writer. I learn best by entering into practice, listening deeply, and remaining open to those who will share their path and passions with me.

Popular posts from this blog

The Trust in Prayer

One fall day in 1996, I sought my plausible dissertation advisor, James E. Loder , on the fifth floor of the classroom building, Stuart Hall, knowing he had a precept class ending at lunchtime. What I received in that encounter was not what I wanted, nor what I sought, but what I needed, and so much more powerful than what I had imagined. Today, over thirty years later, the encounter in that classroom arises in my awareness as an icon of sorts, a crystallization of trust in a process that would send deep roots into the soul-soil of my vocational journey I can still recognize today. I was Given a trust in prayer , but not as I was taught to pray. Prayer sometimes happens to us, when we allow it to do so. Providing a trust in the visceral wisdom of the body, if and when we allow it, discern it, recognize it as not our own yet intimately our own . This moment also demonstrated the faithful response and willingness to unknow together , whether as individuals or in an entire witnessing com...

Ridin the Bronco

It’s like ridin’ the bronco , I’ve often said when describing my over twenty years at United Seminary, a freestanding graduate school affiliated with the United Methodist Church yet more relationally-nuanced and Evangelical-United-Brethren in its ethos than most of the current teaching faculty know to perceive. We are a small graduate school, though our enrollment puts us in the upper echelon in terms of enrollments in the other twelve UMC seminaries/div schools. In those seas, my husband and I speak of United as a pirate seminary , sailing the unsafe waters of denominational politics that also cannot imagine a primarily relational ethos known historically through the EUB. Even Evangelicals who love United have spoken of this character as an EUB “hangover,” disliking its relational challenges to doctrinal sureties. I landed here over twenty years ago at Spirit’s beck and call, really wanting to serve in a southern PCUSA seminary whose president was a woman (at the time I interviewed)....

Brian Insisted We Watch "Sinners" (Ryan Coogler's vampire movie with Michael B. Jordan)

  Brian Insisted We Watch “Sinners” (the Ryan Coogler vampire movie with Michael B. Jordan, among others) I find myself watchful,  feinting, jabbing, ducking more with  institutional power these days . Sometimes led, sometimes leading I am aware of roles, or intentionally refuse them. Which can be unwise. Or holy. Or both. Those with institutional power  pretend they have authority, projecting pain onto any who will bear it assuming a pattern earned by pedestaled leaders who came before. Those truly free to serve within institutions listen deeply to a silence within themselves,  loving those around into Grace, even Mystery led by a pattern surrendered into by one or more beloveds who came before. The institutional match-steps are stamped with flawed, exacting abuse. Living, free bodies left  hurting, silenced, disdained as power wounds from unexamined hurts, cycling again and again rote words without competence or curiosity We are human collectives long dea...